June 21, 1921
On June 21, 1921, newly built Potter Hall was dedicated on the campus of Western Kentucky State Normal School as a women’s dorm.
It housed 175 women, each paying $8.50 per month. The building boasted a 300-seat cafeteria, often used for social functions, including a marriage ceremony of Josephine Cherry, daughter of the college’s then-president, H.H. Cherry.
Named for J. Whit Potter, a school regent and local bank president, it cost $233,407 to build and was designed by D.X. Murphy and Co. and Brashear and Cohill.
– “Way Back When in Warren County” is compiled by researchers at the Warren County Public Library and appears twice weekly in the Bowling Green Daily News. For more information about the library, visit warrenpl.org.