The Potter brothers proudly noted they had the “only opera house in this city.” It had been previously known as Odeon Hall but was remodeled with new boxes, new opera chairs, new balcony, new scenery and even two new drop curtains.
The Opera House could seat 850 patrons and offered plays, comedies, operettas and minstrels. It was located where the former BB&T bank building now stands at Main Avenue and College Street. It is shown after being destroyed by a fire in a photograph dated July 3, 1898.
– “Way Back When in Warren County” is compiled by researchers at the Warren County Public Library and appears twice weekly in the Bowling Green Daily News. For more information about the library, visit warrenpl.org.