Two children, ages 4 and 5, were found in a Bowling Green home with injuries apparently caused by an earlier car crash, and the alleged driver was arrested on suspicion of not seeking medical care for them.

Cinthia Rangel, 25, was arrested Monday by the Bowling Green Police Department on two counts of first-degree criminal abuse, leaving the scene of an accident/failure to render aid with serious physical injury and first-degree criminal mischief.

The investigation began when city police officers were dispatched to an abandoned 2010 Volkswagen Golf on Loop Street behind the Warren Central High School football field.

The vehicle appeared to have lost control on Loop Street, left the road into a ditch behind the football field and rolled through a fence.

“The vehicle had severe damage to the driver’s side and the front passenger windshield,” an arrest citation said. “There was also a significant amount of blood located in the front passenger seat of the vehicle, as well as the ... surrounding area around the vehicle.”

Police contacted the car’s registered owner, who told officers Rangel usually drives the car and has two children with her, the citation said.

Officers went to Rangel’s residence on Virginia Drive, where they made contact with her and found a 4-year-old boy lying on a couch.

The 4-year-old had a severe cut to the left side of his cheek extending from his mouth up to the base of his left ear, the citation said.

“The laceration made it visible to see the inside of the mouth/throat,” the citation said. “It was also apparent that the juvenile had what appeared to be a broken leg, and bruising/redness throughout the abdominal area, along with blood on the outside of his ears.”

Police also found a 5-year-old girl who had bruising on her chest and body, records said.

Rangel was questioned by police about the crash, and she said it occurred about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, roughly 90 minutes before police found the children, according to her citation.

Asked about obtaining medical assistance for the children, Rangel said she had traveled to TriStar Greenview Regional Hospital but was scared to go inside, telling officers she did not want to get in trouble, her citation said.

Rangel was taken into custody. The children were transported to Monroe Carell Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.

– Follow courts reporter Justin Story on Twitter @jstorydailynews or visit

– Follow courts reporter Justin Story on Twitter @jstorydailynews or visit

Recommended for you