As a member of the Kentucky Retired Teachers Association, I regularly receive a legislative update during the state legislative session that keeps us posted on teacher issues. Part of the most recent update follows:

“Legislative Update 2-10-20

Our priorities in this session continue to be the following:

1. Fully fund the Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS).

2. Fully fund the Medical Insurance Trust Fund, as agreed upon in the Shared Responsibility Agreement passed in 2010.

3. Ensure that TRS maintains its independence from Kentucky’s other retirement systems and that our board composition and structure does not change.

4. Ensure the Kentucky General Assembly maintains the defined-benefit retirement system for all current and future retired teachers.”

Previous updates going back as far as I can remember had the same four priorities, but they were listed in a different order.

In previous updates, the No. 1 and No. 4 priorities were reversed, which is to say that KRTA listed full funding of the TRS as the fourth priority while keeping a defined-benefit retirement system for all current and FUTURE (my emphasis) retired teachers was listed as the top priority.

I’m hoping that this new rank ordering reflects a change in priorities by the folks at KRTA. Maybe they finally recognize that the most important issue is full funding of the teachers’ retirement system.

One of the major reasons that Kentucky’s TRS is so financially weak (among the weakest in the nation) is because of the state’s systematic underfunding that went on under then-Gov. Steve Beshear’s administration, and all the while state politicians were regularly telling teacher groups that we had one of the best teacher retirement systems in the country. Never mind that the state wasn’t fully funding the system.

Ah well, politicians are what they are.

Edward Wolfe

Bowling Green

(1) comment

Enough Already

"... the state’s systematic underfunding that went on under then-Gov. Steve Beshear’s administration, and all the while state politicians were regularly telling teacher groups that we had one of the best teacher retirement systems in the country."

Sadly those same dumb teachers re-elected the party that screwed them so badly. Now they are happily wallowing in the same stupidity that got them in this fix. Here is hoping they get 0 raises this year and are forced into funding some of their own retirement. If that doesn't work the state should dissolve what remains of the teacher retirement fund and disburse 75% to past teachers. Let the rest of them take 25% and make their own way. The citizens of Kentucky don't owe them squat. Let them invest it and be the captains of their own destiny instead of whining like the clueless leftist union members they are.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.